Job Title: Planning Director Transportation
Hiring Agency: MN Department of Transportation
Web Link: http://mn.gov/careers
Deadline: September 3, 2014
Salary Range: $30.44 - $43.75
MnDOT District 8, headquartered in Willmar, invites qualified candidates to apply for the position of Planning Director. Enjoy the relaxing smaller town life of Willmar, a community of 20,000 people located two hours west of Minneapolis-St. Paul. The Willmar Lakes Area contains 360 lakes for boating and fishing, state recreational trails for bicycling and 200 miles of trails for snowmobiling and cross country skiing.
The position is responsible for directing and managing the coordination and integration of District 8's transportation plans, studies, and investment programs. Qualified applicants should have:
- Experience and leadership skills supervising or directing professional staff in transportation planning and program management.
- Experience working with transportation investment plans and integration of multiple modes.
- Experience leading public outreach elements with multi-functional work groups, preferably in the development of district and state short and long range plans. This would include demonstrated ability to effectively engage the public in the planning process.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to successfully interact and create strong relations with management, external stakeholders, and MnDOT staff.
- Fiscal management experience with large complex budgets.
- Knowledge of transportation engineering principles, the construction industry and standards, policies and programs of a DOT.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree in Planning or a related field
- Two years professional supervisory experience OR three years of experience in transportation planning methods and practices at or involving the statewide level.
Apply on-line at http://mm.gov/careers
Step 1) Create user ID and password
Step 2) Input and submit resume
Step 3) Apply to posting #14DOT000352. "Apply to" check box is listed at the bottom of the posting.
Please provide a summary of your experience and education along with your written expression of interest and resume by September 3, 2014.
Job Title: Administrative and Field Assistant
Hiring Agency: City of St. Cloud
Web Link: http://ci.stcloud.mn.us/jobs.aspx
Deadline: September 10, 2014
Salary Range: $21.5077/hour
The City of St. Cloud is accepting applications for the position Administrative and Field Assistant in the Health & Inspections Department. This position is expected to consist of approximately 50% of administrative departmental support work and 50% nuisance complaint inspections and follow-up activities.
- Performing nuisance inspections and follow-up enforcement actions;
- Compiling data for administrative and fiscal reports, budgets, and other purposes
- Coordinating enforcement efforts with other city departments and outside agencies
- Assisting with the preparation of reports including monthly tracking of department inspections and enforcement actions
- Coordinating departmental public communication including mailings, press releases, email notifications and other public media;
- Maintaining accurate and thorough records and processing license applications
- Fill in for clerical staff when on vacation or as needed
To be considered, a city application and resume must be returned by Wednesday, September 10th. Application materials may be returned to:
City of St. Cloud
Human Resources Department
400 2nd St S
St. Cloud, MN 56301
Fax: (320) 255-7261
Job Title: Community Development Director
Hiring Agency: Brimeyer Fursman
Web Link: http://www.brimgroup.com
Deadline: September 22, 2014
Salary Range: $75,832 - $98,415
Community Development Director, Victoria, MN (pop. ~8,000). Salary Range: $75,832 - $98,415
The City of Victoria is seeking a customer service oriented professional with the capacity to be visionary, personable, and creative. The CDD sought will be a team player who can work effectively across departments.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree (Master's degree is desired) in urban studies, planning, geography, public administration, or similar field and at least five years' experience in performing duties comparable to this position. A combination of formal preparation and experience to perform all aspects of this position that is deemed acceptable by the Council is considered qualified as well.
Position profile is available at www.brimgroup.com.
Send letter of interest and electronic resume to VictoriaCDD@brimgroup.com by September 22, 2014. Finalists selected by the City on October 6. Please direct questions to Richard Fursman at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 338-2533.
Job Title: Land Resources Director
Hiring Agency: Pope County
Web Link: http://www.co.pope.mn.us/employment.php?id=23
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: $55,785 - $76,003 annual
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK
Performs complex professional and administrative work overseeing all aspects of the Land and Resource Management office including administration of the zoning, subdivision and solid waste ordinances; development and implementation of the comprehensive land use plan and water plan; and administration of grant and loan programs; acting as the primary staff person for the planning advisory commission and board of adjustment and interacts directly with the county board of commissioners, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work involves setting policies and goals under the direction of the County Administration. Departmental supervision is exercised over all personnel within the department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Administers and oversees all operations within the Land and Resource Management Department including supervision of employees and contractors, budgeting, and approving expenses.
- Administers, interprets, enforces, and maintains zoning, subdivision, solid waste, and water surface ordinances. Reviews and approves administrative permits for land use, shore land alteration, and septic disposal.
- Acts as the primary staff person for the Planning Advisory Commission and Board of Adjustment setting agendas, drafting reports and making recommendations on applications.
- Develops and implements the Comprehensive Land Use and Water Plan.
- Implements and administers various efforts related to the Solid Waste Management Program.
- Administers all grants and contracts held by the County through the department including managing budgets, drafting applications and contracts, and reporting on activities and expenditures.
- Maintains significant interactions with homeowners, contractors, developers, real estate agents, title companies, mortgage underwriters, attorneys, subdivision associations, lake associations, state agencies, and the media on a variety of topics related to land use, natural resources, and planning.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Working knowledge of planning practices, environmental issues and legal principals as these relate to land use and development; ability to interpret and analyze technical and statistical information and to prepare and present technical oral and written reports; basic understanding of financial principles including budgeting and evaluating expenses and revenues; excellent skill communicating orally and in writing; ability to maintain effective working relationships with associates, government officials, other agencies and the general public; general knowledge of public processes including a basic understanding of standard rules of order and experiences with public or board meetings.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree with coursework in natural resource, planning, architecture, engineering, or related field and considerable experience in a leadership position within a county or municipal planning and zoning office or public administration government agency or quasi-governmental entity, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's degree preferred.
This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 10 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling and lifting; work requires depth perception, color perception and peripheral vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, using of measuring devices, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Valid driver's license in the State of Minnesota.
Submit a job application form, resume, cover letter, and three professional references, directly to: Pope County Human Resources, 130 Minnesota Ave E., Suite 210, Glenwood, MN 56334 or email to email@example.com (list job title in the subject line of your email). All applicants are subject to a background check. Open until filled. Go to www.co.pope.mn.us for job application form.
Job Title: Urban Planner/Project Planner
Hiring Agency: MSA Professional Services
Web Link: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/
Salary Range: Depends of Experience Level
MSA Professional Services, Inc. is an employee owned multi-disciplined consulting firm with over 300 employees in four states focused on developing better ideas to implement better solutions for our clients. We work with municipalities and government agencies to improve and maintain an exceptional quality of life for people across the Upper Midwest.
We are currently seeking a full-time employee to work with our municipal clients to provide planning and funding assistance for a variety of clients. This person will collaborate with engineering staff in our Minnesota offices and leaders of our multi-state community planning practice to help grow our planning services in Minnesota. MSA provides planning and design services to public and private clients in a variety of settings and addresses issues ranging from transportation and land use to economic development and park planning.
Location: St Paul, MN
- Identify and evaluate potential community planning clients and projects
- Develop and maintain relationships with staff and elected officials in target communities
- Write and edit community planning project scopes and proposals
- Serve as project manager and principal planner for Minnesota planning projects
- Attend and facilitate public meetings and project committee meetings
- Write and produce plan documents with assistance as needed from planners in other offices
- Participate as a member of APA-MN
- Participate in MSA's Planning "Community of Practice"
- Identify project funding opportunities (for planning, engineering, or construction) and assist with grant applications as needed.
- Master's degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Public Administration, or related degree is required
- 5 or more years of planning experience including comprehensive plans, amendments, and neighborhood/downtown planning required
- Exceptional writing, editing, and communication skills required
- A track record of successful project management, public meeting facilitation, and marketing experience is preferred
- Minnesota municipal funding or grant knowledge would be a plus
Apply with your resume and cover letter at www.msa-ps.com. MSA is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Job Title: Transportation Planning and Traffic Engineering Manager
Hiring Agency: Stonebrooke Engineering
Web Link: http://www.stonebrookeengineering.com/careers/transportation-planning-and-traffic-engineering-manager/
Salary Range: Varies based on experience
Stonebrooke Engineering is seeking a qualified Civil Engineering or Planning candidate with 10+ years of experience working on, leading, and/or acting as project principal on municipal and transportation projects, with an emphasis in several or all of the following:
- Traffic operations, roundabout safety and operations, and signal timing
- Traffic safety analysis, road safety audits, and safety planning
- Permanent signing, striping, lighting, and traffic signal design
- Temporary traffic control design
- ITS design
- Corridor studies, alternative analysis, and traffic impact studies
- Multi-modal planning studies and implementation
- Applied research and implementation
Candidates should currently be licensed Professional Engineers (PE) or an AICP Certified Planners in the State of Minnesota, or have the ability to obtain such licensure within 12 months. Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) or Professional Transportation Planner (PTP) certification is a plus.
This is the lead position for all transportation planning and traffic engineering activities at Stonebrooke. Initially this position will primarily involve leading and assisting on various civil engineering projects in a production role, following design standards and agency technical requirements, creating traffic operations and safety plans and reports, communicating with clients, presenting at project related meetings and conferences, and performing a variety of other assignments related to municipal, transportation, research, and planning projects. The person in this position will also lead and assist on developing responses to requests for proposals, letters of interest, requests for qualifications, etc.
Concurrent with production role activities, the successful candidate will assist Stonebrooke's leadership team on developing and implementing a vision for the growth of the Transportation Planning and Traffic Engineering section. It is expected that as Stonebrooke grows, and particularly as the Transportation Planning and Traffic Engineering section grows, a greater share of the person's time in this position will be spent on leadership and personnel issues, mentoring, marketing, and business development. Project related work will continue to be a priority, but proportionally will represent a smaller share of job duties.
The successful candidate will possess a combination of some or all of the following attributes:
- A work hard, play hard attitude and a desire to help guide the growth of Stonebrooke.
- A commitment to engineering and advocating for reasonable and responsible solutions.
- Demonstrated success as a group or section leader.
- Demonstrated success developing responses to requests for proposals, letters of interest, and requests for qualifications.
- Traffic signal, lighting, signing, striping, temporary traffic control, and/or ITS design experience.
- Familiarity with traffic and roundabout operations, and traffic safety evaluation reports
- Experience with planning activities, which may include corridor studies, alternatives analyses, multi-modal studies, development driven traffic impact studies, Minnesota county and city comprehensive or transportation plans, and road safety audits.
- Knowledge of macroscopic and microscopic traffic operations modeling software (i.e. Synchro/Sim Traffic, RODEL, Highway Capacity Software, VISSIM, etc.).
- Knowledge of travel demand modeling software such as Tranplan, TRIPS, TP+, and CUBE VOYAGER.
- Knowledge of CADD software, including MicroStation and/or AutoCAD.
- Working knowledge of the MNMUTCD, Highway Capacity Manual, AASHTO Highway Safety Manual, ITE Trip Generation Manual, and MnDOTís Traffic Engineering, Signals, and Lighting Manuals. Working knowledge of the MnDOT Road Design Manual and AASHTO Green Book is a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience working on federal aid and state aid projects, including familiarity with federal, state, and local processes, policies, standards, and regulations.
- Experience working with regulatory agencies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Stonebrooke Engineering is a growing civil engineering firm seeking motivated individuals looking for career advancement opportunities.
To express interest in this position, contact Brenda Arvidson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-402-9202.
Job Title: Planner/Landscape Architect
Hiring Agency: Hoisington Koegler Group inc.
Web Link: http://www.hkgi.com
Deadline: Open until filled
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
HKGi is seeking a creative, energetic planner/landscape architect with 3 to 5 years of experience to join our team. Candidate should possess strong graphic, written, and verbal communication skills including experience preparing design related reports and exhibits with InDesign and Photoshop. HTML and GIS experience a plus. The candidate will contribute to a large variety of project types including urban design, community planning, parks, recreation and open space planning, and supporting ongoing marketing efforts related to the preparation of proposals. Support of Project Managers and Principals with key planning and landscape architecture projects. Limited project management for smaller scale projects with the opportunity to grow into a larger project management position over time.
Candidate should be a self-motivated well rounded professional with a combination of personal, professional, and technical skills sharing a similar motivation for advancing our practice and profession. HKGi offers a great, bike friendly office environment and close proximity to transit.
Desired Qualifications: Accredited program degree required plus 3 to 5 years of experience
Submit in pdf format: cover letter, resume, references, work samples, and writing/graphic design samples via email to Paul Paige at email@example.com. No phone calls please.