Job Title: City Planner
Hiring Agency: City of Park Rapids
Web Link: http://ci.park-rapids.mn.us
Deadline: November 21, 2014
Salary Range: $43,347 to $56,264 plus FT benefit package
Responsible for administering and enforcing the city's planning and zoning, community development, comprehensive plan, and building, plumbing, and rental inspection programs. Must have ability to plan, coordinate and direct operations of planning activities, be proficient in Arc-View, GIS, or similar programs, have excellent communications skills, and the ability and willingness to work with the city's management team. Minimum qualifications include Bachelor's degree in Planning, Urban Studies or related field, and 1 to 2 years of related experience.
City application, resume, and a letter of interest required. Applications available at Park Rapids City Hall, 212 Second St W, Park Rapids MN 56470, by calling 218-732-3163, or website.
Job Title: Senior Planner
Hiring Agency: Metropolitan Council
Web Link: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/metrocouncil/default.cfm
Deadline: December 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM
Salary Range: $63,814.00 - $92,851.00 Annually
Work for an organization whose purpose it is to make the Twin Cities community a great place to live! We offer excellent benefits (including free transit rides), growth opportunities and a healthy work/life balance.
The Metropolitan Council is the regional planning agency serving the Minneapolis/St. Paul seven-county metropolitan area. It operates the regional transit system; collects and treats the region's wastewater; serves communities through affordable housing programs; establishes policies for the region's growth; and serves as the regional planning agency for transportation, aviation, water resources, and parks and open space.
The Livable Communities Act (LCA) program provides funding for communities to invest in local economic revitalization, affordable housing initiatives, and development or redevelopment that connects different land uses and transportation. The program is a voluntary, incentive-based approach to help communities grow and redevelop, and to address the region's affordable and lifecycle housing needs.
Education/Experience: A bachelor's degree with major coursework in city; urban, land use or environmental planning; community development; or related field AND four years of experience in land use planning, urban design or related field.
Equivalency: A combination of applicable education and experience on a year for year basis totaling eight years may also be considered.
Experience with grants coordination and database management/statistical analysis. Advanced skills in GIS and MS Word, Excel and Access.
Applicants must submit the Metropolitan Council's online employment application no later than 4:30 PM on December 4, 2014. More information and application instructions at www.metrocouncil.org.
Job Title: Planner II
Hiring Agency: St. Louis County
Web Link: http://www.stlouiscountymn.gov/jobs
Deadline: December 10, 2014
Salary Range: $22.85-$26.52
An employee in this class is responsible for the evaluation, development and administration of short and long range planning related to projects/programs or services, and evaluates, develops, and carries out recommendations on policies, procedures, programs or services in a specialized area of assignment. Duties include project management; developing plans and specifications, requests for proposals, bids and quotes, and contracts; site design, survey and preparation; inspection of construction/installation projects; assisting in the administration of assigned programs; reviewing and evaluating services and programs; developing recommendations for program, policy, service, or budget changes; communicating with and educating the public on related state and department policy and programs; working independently with local units of government on project/program implementation; and performing related duties as assigned. Work direction may be exercised over staff in lower classifications of work. The work is performed under the general direction of assigned supervisory staff through consultation, review of reports and plans and evaluation of work accomplished.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (PASS/FAIL):
- Graduation from an accredited college with a major in planning, or an acceptable related field as determined by specific position posted (see Degree Requirements below); AND four years of verifiable paid experience in professional planning work in the assigned area of specialty; OR, a Master's Degree in planning or an acceptable related field as determined by specific position posted (see Degree Requirements below); AND two years of verifiable paid experience in professional planning work in the assigned area of specialty.
- Possession of a valid class D driver's license.
For more information and to apply online please visit us at: http://www.stlouiscountymn.gov/jobs.
Job Title: Economic Development Director
Hiring Agency: City of Brooklyn Park
Web Link: http://www.brooklynpark.org/EDDirector
Deadline: December 14, 2014
Salary Range: $82,930 to $112,195 Annually
The Economic Development Director position presents an opportunity for an engaged and talented person who is committed to continuous learning and growth in the field of economic development, housing, and redevelopment. In collaboration with the Director of Community Development, this position provides the City's Economic Development Authority/Housing Redevelopment Authority with strategic leadership and administrative staff support. The position is also responsible for the direction, management and leadership of a team of four to six staff who manage the City's economic development and redevelopment initiatives, housing services, business development services, and neighborhood preservation strategies.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Community Development, Urban Studies, Public Administration, Real Estate, related field or equivalent education and experience
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible administrative and management experience in economic development, business development/financing, redevelopment, housing or closely related field
- Knowledge of structure, function, operations, programs and services of an Economic Development Division
- Knowledge of business and public financing, real estate principles and tax increment financing
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations applicable to planning, housing and redevelopment
- Knowledge of management principles and practices of employee supervision to include work planning and assignment, project management and performance evaluation and review
- Knowledge of principles, practices and methods of consensus building, conflict resolution, negotiation and team-oriented management
- Knowledge of how the different disciplines of Community Development and Economic Development interconnect internally and with the other city departments
Applicants must submit an online employment application no later than 11:59 PM on December 14, 2014. More information about the application process are provided online at the city's website: www.brooklynpark.org/employment.
Job Title: Project Development Planner
Hiring Agency: Region Nine Development Commission
Web Link: http://www.rndc.org/employment
Deadline: December 30, 2014
Salary Range: Salary Commensurate with experience.
Region Nine Development Commission is looking to add a team member to the Community Development Department.
The position will be responsible for research, grant writing, project development and project funding for the department and the organization. An individual in this position will act as a key resource for local government, businesses and organizations regarding funding for a wide range of community development needs. Research responsibilities will include data mining and technical writing, as well as, graphic presentation of data. This individual will also be the primary staff for the Region Nine Renewable Energy Task Force and a lead organizer for the Region's Grant Opportunity Forums. The other primary area of responsibility will be project management and support for hazard mitigation, solid waste, active living, transportation and community comprehensive planning contracts with local communities.
Minimum qualifications include a four-year degree with a focus on urban and regional studies and related work experience. A Masters Degree in Urban Studies or Public Administration is preferred. Must be available for evening meetings and travel as needed. The candidate must also be a team player, possess good writing and speaking skills, and be comfortable with all Microsoft Office software applications. GIS experience is a plus. Salary commensurate with experience.
If you meet these qualifications, please download an application at http://www.rndc.org/employment.
Send cover letter, resume and application to: Ashley Aukes, PO Box 3367, Mankato, MN 56002-3367 or email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Resumes will not be accepted without a cover letter and completed application.
Job Title: Extension Educator - Aquatic Invasive Species
Hiring Agency: University of Minnesota Extension
Web Link: https://employment.umn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=125215
Deadline: Application review begins November 21, 2014; open until filled
Salary Range: Depending on qualifications
The Extension Educator is responsible for planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating educational programs for aquatic invasive species detection and response. These educational programs will focus on helping local governments, lake associations, and citizens groups plan, develop and implement science-based programs that prevent, monitor, and control the establishment and spread of state-listed aquatic invasive species.
To accomplish this, the AIS Extension Educator will: 1) help identify and prioritize the most pressing aquatic invasive species challenges in different regions of Minnesota, 2) work with established Extension programs (e.g., Minnesota Master Naturalists) to develop AIS-focused educational programs, 3) assist in developing educational partnerships among state and local governments, lake associations, and citizens organizations, 4) assist these partners in implementing on-the-ground AIS detection and control projects, and 5) assist in securing funding to sustain AIS project efforts.
The AIS Extension Educator will be affiliated with the Minnesota Aquatic Invasive Species Research Center (MAISRC) and act as a critical interface between local community groups, university scientists, and state natural resource agency managers with the intent of building local capacity to respond to AIS threats. The AIS Extension Educator will coordinate with other Extension Educators and Specialists involved in AIS programming, and operate as a team. The AIS Extension Educator will also coordinate communications efforts with MAISRC communications staff. The Educator will interpret and disseminate the latest research findings using a variety of delivery and communication strategies appropriate for the intended target audience, including but not limited to workshops, classes, webcasts, social media, publications, mass media and community coalitions.
For the full list of responsibilities and required qualifications, please visit https://employment.umn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=125215.
Please apply online via the Employment System at https://employment.umn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=125215.
- Cover letter
- Transcripts for all college work (unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the application stage). To submit transcripts online, attach them to the "additional document" section of the "Optional Documents".
- Names and contact information for three professional references. To submit list of professional references online, attach them to the "references" section of the "Required Documents".
If your unofficial transcripts cannot be submitted online send them to the address below. To check the status of your application, log-in to the University of Minnesota employment website at https://employment.umn.edu/. To log-in, you will need the user name and password you create when you apply for the position.
FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION CONTACT Naaz Babvani, Extension Human Resources 260 Coffey Hall, 1420 Eckles Avenue, University of Minnesota St. Paul, MN 55108 Telephone: 612-624-3717 Fax: 612-624-7749 firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE POSITION CONTACT Nathan J. Meyer Program Leader for the Extension Center for Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences University of Minnesota Extension Cloquet Regional Office
179 University Road
Cloquet, MN 55720
Any offer of employment is contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
The University of Minnesota Extension is committed to the policy that all persons shall have equal access to its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status or sexual orientation.
Job Title: Adjunct Instructor - Land Use Planning
Hiring Agency: Dunwoody College of Technology
Web Link: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=9232051
Salary Range: DOQ
Dunwoody College of Technology currently has the need for Adjunct Instructors in the Surveying & Civil Engineering Technology program housed in the Construction Sciences & Building Technology department.
Dunwoody's construction programs provide students the essential information required to start a career in a related construction field. Themes prevalent throughout the programs include industry standards and best practices, documentation, and the value of time, money and resources. Graduates of the construction programs will be suited to be the next generation of leaders in the construction industry.
The successful candidate will have the ability to disseminate the technical information required to the students along with applying the candidate's own industry experiences to reinforce the prevalent theories in the program.
SCVL1230 - Land Use Planning | Credits 4.00
Introduction to the planning process used to develop land with an emphasis on land use for public and private needs in a community.
- Duration: Spring 2015 semester (1/5/15 - 5/15/15)
- Schedule: Monday - Thursday, 8:00 am - 8:50 pm
This position is responsible for initiating the teaching and learning process with a focus on continuous improvement; creating an environment in which students can accomplish the learning competencies of the course of instruction; maintaining, updating, designing and developing new curriculum. The result should be students' abilities to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, ethics, and use of proper tools to meet industry and professional business standards.
- Maintains curriculum on campus network.
- Facilitates learning activities so that students learn the theory, principles, skills, and work ethic required of a Dunwoody alumni.
- Creates a classroom environment that cultivates and advances learning.
- Monitors, assesses and advises learners on technical and academic progress and performance.
- Applies current academic and industry practices to instruction.
- Maintains, updates, designs and/or develops new curriculum.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors in Surveying, Civil Engineering or equivalent with a Master's degree preferred.
- PE preferred for applicable courses
- 1-3 years professional teaching experience in related field preferred.
- 3-5 years of related industry experience.
- Membership in related industry organizations.
- Ability to work collaboratively and motivated independently.
- Ability to express self clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use electronic technology and online resources to support the management and delivery of instruction.
Interested candidates must apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=9232051.
Job Title: Urban Planner/Project Planner
Hiring Agency: MSA Professional Services
Web Link: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/
Salary Range: Depends of Experience Level
MSA Professional Services, Inc. is an employee owned multi-disciplined consulting firm with over 300 employees in four states focused on developing better ideas to implement better solutions for our clients. We work with municipalities and government agencies to improve and maintain an exceptional quality of life for people across the Upper Midwest.
We are currently seeking a full-time employee to work with our municipal clients to provide planning and funding assistance for a variety of clients. This person will collaborate with engineering staff in our Minnesota offices and leaders of our multi-state community planning practice to help grow our planning services in Minnesota. MSA provides planning and design services to public and private clients in a variety of settings and addresses issues ranging from transportation and land use to economic development and park planning.
Location: St Paul, MN
- Identify and evaluate potential community planning clients and projects
- Develop and maintain relationships with staff and elected officials in target communities
- Write and edit community planning project scopes and proposals
- Serve as project manager and principal planner for Minnesota planning projects
- Attend and facilitate public meetings and project committee meetings
- Write and produce plan documents with assistance as needed from planners in other offices
- Participate as a member of APA-MN
- Participate in MSA's Planning "Community of Practice"
- Identify project funding opportunities (for planning, engineering, or construction) and assist with grant applications as needed.
- Master's degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Public Administration, or related degree is required
- 5 or more years of planning experience including comprehensive plans, amendments, and neighborhood/downtown planning required
- Exceptional writing, editing, and communication skills required
- A track record of successful project management, public meeting facilitation, and marketing experience is preferred
- Minnesota municipal funding or grant knowledge would be a plus
Apply with your resume and cover letter at www.msa-ps.com. MSA is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Job Title: Transportation Planning and Traffic Engineering Manager
Hiring Agency: Stonebrooke Engineering
Web Link: http://www.stonebrookeengineering.com/careers/transportation-planning-and-traffic-engineering-manager/
Salary Range: Varies based on experience
Stonebrooke Engineering is seeking a qualified Civil Engineering or Planning candidate with 10+ years of experience working on, leading, and/or acting as project principal on municipal and transportation projects, with an emphasis in several or all of the following:
- Traffic operations, roundabout safety and operations, and signal timing
- Traffic safety analysis, road safety audits, and safety planning
- Permanent signing, striping, lighting, and traffic signal design
- Temporary traffic control design
- ITS design
- Corridor studies, alternative analysis, and traffic impact studies
- Multi-modal planning studies and implementation
- Applied research and implementation
Candidates should currently be licensed Professional Engineers (PE) or an AICP Certified Planners in the State of Minnesota, or have the ability to obtain such licensure within 12 months. Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) or Professional Transportation Planner (PTP) certification is a plus.
This is the lead position for all transportation planning and traffic engineering activities at Stonebrooke. Initially this position will primarily involve leading and assisting on various civil engineering projects in a production role, following design standards and agency technical requirements, creating traffic operations and safety plans and reports, communicating with clients, presenting at project related meetings and conferences, and performing a variety of other assignments related to municipal, transportation, research, and planning projects. The person in this position will also lead and assist on developing responses to requests for proposals, letters of interest, requests for qualifications, etc.
Concurrent with production role activities, the successful candidate will assist Stonebrooke's leadership team on developing and implementing a vision for the growth of the Transportation Planning and Traffic Engineering section. It is expected that as Stonebrooke grows, and particularly as the Transportation Planning and Traffic Engineering section grows, a greater share of the person's time in this position will be spent on leadership and personnel issues, mentoring, marketing, and business development. Project related work will continue to be a priority, but proportionally will represent a smaller share of job duties.
The successful candidate will possess a combination of some or all of the following attributes:
- A work hard, play hard attitude and a desire to help guide the growth of Stonebrooke.
- A commitment to engineering and advocating for reasonable and responsible solutions.
- Demonstrated success as a group or section leader.
- Demonstrated success developing responses to requests for proposals, letters of interest, and requests for qualifications.
- Traffic signal, lighting, signing, striping, temporary traffic control, and/or ITS design experience.
- Familiarity with traffic and roundabout operations, and traffic safety evaluation reports
- Experience with planning activities, which may include corridor studies, alternatives analyses, multi-modal studies, development driven traffic impact studies, Minnesota county and city comprehensive or transportation plans, and road safety audits.
- Knowledge of macroscopic and microscopic traffic operations modeling software (i.e. Synchro/Sim Traffic, RODEL, Highway Capacity Software, VISSIM, etc.).
- Knowledge of travel demand modeling software such as Tranplan, TRIPS, TP+, and CUBE VOYAGER.
- Knowledge of CADD software, including MicroStation and/or AutoCAD.
- Working knowledge of the MNMUTCD, Highway Capacity Manual, AASHTO Highway Safety Manual, ITE Trip Generation Manual, and MnDOTís Traffic Engineering, Signals, and Lighting Manuals. Working knowledge of the MnDOT Road Design Manual and AASHTO Green Book is a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience working on federal aid and state aid projects, including familiarity with federal, state, and local processes, policies, standards, and regulations.
- Experience working with regulatory agencies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Stonebrooke Engineering is a growing civil engineering firm seeking motivated individuals looking for career advancement opportunities.
To express interest in this position, contact Brenda Arvidson at email@example.com or 952-402-9202.
Job Title: Planner/Landscape Architect
Hiring Agency: Hoisington Koegler Group inc.
Web Link: http://www.hkgi.com
Deadline: Open until filled
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
HKGi is seeking a creative, energetic planner/landscape architect with 3 to 5 years of experience to join our team. Candidate should possess strong graphic, written, and verbal communication skills including experience preparing design related reports and exhibits with InDesign and Photoshop. HTML and GIS experience a plus. The candidate will contribute to a large variety of project types including urban design, community planning, parks, recreation and open space planning, and supporting ongoing marketing efforts related to the preparation of proposals. Support of Project Managers and Principals with key planning and landscape architecture projects. Limited project management for smaller scale projects with the opportunity to grow into a larger project management position over time.
Candidate should be a self-motivated well rounded professional with a combination of personal, professional, and technical skills sharing a similar motivation for advancing our practice and profession. HKGi offers a great, bike friendly office environment and close proximity to transit.
Desired Qualifications: Accredited program degree required plus 3 to 5 years of experience
Submit in pdf format: cover letter, resume, references, work samples, and writing/graphic design samples via email to Paul Paige at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Job Title: Senior Transportation Planner
Hiring Agency: WSB & Associates, Inc.
Web Link: http://jobs.ourcareerpages.com/job/58513?source=ccp&key=LV%2ftT8zjYzC8tscZXH58YOylHb65Q4VjefRwlwTQeEE%3d
Deadline: Open until filled
Salary Range: Varies based on experience
We are seeking a Senior Transportation Planner for our Minneapolis office.
What You Will Do: As a Senior Transportation Planner, you will lead environmental and transportation planning projects of all sizes. You will develop and maintain excellent client relationships with industry contacts for marketing and business development purposes through in-person and electronic communications. You will also create, track and meet project budgets and schedules which often include working with other functions and directing the work of less-experienced staff. You will use your excellent written communication skills to: prepare requests for proposals, technical reports and memos; develop materials for public and agency meetings; correspond with internal staff and clients; meet with stakeholders; and coordinate with multiple stakeholder groups. Your presentation and public speaking skills will help as you lead proposal interviews, stakeholder activities and public meetings; communicate and interact with the public, clients and sub-consultants.
You will apply transportation methods, planning principles, standard industry evaluations and analyses to produce transportation projects of all sizes. Typical analyses require an understanding of functional classification, roadway jurisdiction, crashes, future traffic projections/forecasts, capacity, benefit-cost analyses, multi-modal integration, alternatives evaluation, socio-economic data and environmental impacts. Projects will include corridor studies, bicycle and pedestrian plans, transportation plans, sub-area plans, environmental documents and components of larger community planning efforts.
What You Will Bring: The successful candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in transportation, urban planning, civil engineering or related field from an accredited program and their AICP certification and/or a Minnesota PE license. The successful candidate will have seven years' experience in a broad base of transportation planning practices, activities and studies to include writing federal environmental documents and transportation / corridor plans. Our preferred candidate will have their Master's degree in transportation, urban planning, civil engineering or related field from an accredited program.
Who We Are: WSB is an energetic professional consulting and design firm with offices in Minneapolis, St. Paul, St. Cloud, Rochester, Northfield and Bismarck. We were named to the StarTribune's Top 100 Workplaces in Minnesota for the second consecutive year! WSB has more than 250 staff members who provide diverse engineering, planning, environmental, and construction services to clients in the government, energy, and commercial markets. Our services also include GIS, landscape architecture, right of way, and surveying.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Apply on-line at http://jobs.ourcareerpages.com/jobapplication/58513?appsource=mnapa.